Love Is Wrapped In Many Shades Of Color

I woke up early this morning, thinking of my upcoming nuptials; the music, guests, the simple joy of being able to marry someone I love. It seems so easy; not the wedding planning itself, of course, but the act of being wed to a person you want to spend your whole life with.



It's amazing how in this new millennium, we have come such a long way.  We can speak with someone thousands of miles away over the computer.  Send them messages instantaneously.  We can use an amazing machine to find that molecule that sparks life.  We can detect certain defects in the womb, and fix them in the womb.  A new face, a new hand, new eyes from transplants have all been accomplished. But marrying someone we love: that seems to be a milestone difficult for us to cross as humans.  A simple, natural act as love for us becomes a major issue, a point of contention - a feeling so good to all of us, dismissed as "wrong" because of who the two people who happen to be in love are.

I grew up in a religious household.  I went to church every Sunday until I graduated high school.  I participated in choir and youth groups, worshiped my God who I thought loved everyone. The older I got, I realized it wasn't everyone who was loved and accepted, per se, but everyone who fit into a particular mold as dictated by a holy book.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Like many people I know, this has been one of my favorite verses from the bible.  It, to me, spoke volumes of what I thought my religion was about. Delving deeper into knowing what Love is, I don't understand is how Love can apply to those who believe a particular way, and not to human beings in general.  If I believe in a different God, should that bar me from a "Love" that is "patient, kind, does not envy, is not self seeking and does not dishonor others?"  

I know this blog is usually lighthearted and fun: a way to find kooky things on the internet, but Hunting for a Wabbit isn't only about hunting for great fun - it's about hunting for something you love, something that inspires you.  Love inspires me.

There was a time, not too long ago, when something as simple as Love wasn't accepted in the US. If that sentiment persisted, many of our friends, including me, including a big majority of our Aloha State would not exist.  Because interracial marriage was legalized, we "hapa" kids can coexist happily amongst our friends, without fear of being stigmatized.  When will we follow suit with gay marriages?  Love is Love, no matter what kind of package it comes in, whether it's a white wrapper, a brown bag, or a rainbow ribbon wrapped gift. Who are we to decide that it was the wrong theme for the party?  

Everyone has a right to their beliefs, and I can respect that. If someone wants to worship God, Buddha, a polka-dotted cow, it's their choice.  I may not understand it, but since everyone is different, they have a right to believe in what they please, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, and to me, denying the right of two people in love to be wed is hurting someone else.  I believe we should all believe in the verse that Love "always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

Love is wrapped in many shades of colors.  Let's just open it up and see the goodness that's inside, no matter what the packaging.

Comments